Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Struggle is Real

This past week the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education released the results of last spring's standardized test results, and for my current 9th grade students the news was dismal: 





Now, my first reaction was disappointment, since I know several of the middle school teachers and how hard they are working. I was happy to see that the high school earned the highest rating of level 1 for meeting most of the targets set by the state. However, these feelings were quickly replaced by a sense of validation. I have barely known my students a month, but the first impression they give is being very behind in their learning. Reading comprehension data indicates more than 1/3 of my students are several grades below level, and even among students with grade level comprehension, there are many who struggle with high school vocabulary. 

I am happier than ever that I decided to take the #1st5days approach, instead of hitting the curriculum right away. During those days I was able to gain the students' trust, establish effective work habits, and build their confidence. I am now working harder than ever to modify the curriculum, and create lessons that are not only engaging, but truly meet students at their levels. 

It has been a tough first month of school, and the workload has been overwhelming at times...but, as the MCAS results show, the struggle is real. I am the last person to take too much stock in a bubble test, however, my 9th grade students scored in the bottom 12% of all students who took the same test. This means I do need to work harder. Before this confirmation, I was second-guessing myself, thinking maybe I was imagining my students were so low. These dismal results have been invigorating, giving me a new sense of purpose and resolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment